Natural gas is a colorless, odorless gas that is lighter than air. It will rise if there is a leak. A product called mercaptan is added to our gas to give it an odor similar to "rotten eggs". This is a safety measure to assist in detecting a gas leak.
Signs of a Gas Leak
- A gaseous or hydrocarbon odor
- Blowing or hissing sound
- Dust blowing from a hole in the ground
- Continuous bubbling in wet or flooded areas
- A spot of dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
If You Smell Gas
- If possible, eliminate any source of ignition
- Do not smoke. Do not use lighters or matches
- Do not turn off/on any switches or appliances
- Do not use a phone or cell phone
- Leave the area and go to a safe location
- Call 911 or 850-983-5400
- Address or location
- Telephone number
- Type of building or site
- Location of odor (inside by appliance or outside of building)
Personnel are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please dial 911 for an emergency or 850-983-5400 for after hours non-emergencies.
For life threatening emergencies call 911.