Carbon Monoxide

A Deadly Gas

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, deadly gas produced when any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of CO produced is usually not dangerous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. Excessive levels can be deadly very quickly.

Flu-like symptoms such as headaches, drowsiness, nausea and blurred vision may be indicators of CO poisoning.

If You Think You Have CO Poisoning

  • Get fresh air immediately. Turn off any appliances and leave the house.
  • Go to an emergency room and tell them you suspect you have CO poisoning.

Protect Yourself

We recommend having all fuel-burning appliances tested yearly and anytime you suspect a problem. Natural Gas of Milton has trained professionals that will gladly test your natural gas appliances.

In addition to annual tests, we recommend installing Carbon Monoxide detectors if you have any gas or other fuel-burning appliances in your home. These can be purchased at home improvement stores.